Thursday, November 1, 2012

Canning attempt #2

So there were two aspects of my day canning, one was way fun and the other very eye opening and humbling and I would like to share both. So I would be canning for my second time and since my awesome grandpa gave me a pot to have and picked all of the tomatoes for me, I figured I may as well get the last couple of canning tools that would make it possible for me to can in the future. So the Walmart closest to us that has canning supplies involves driving through some rough areas. After getting my supplies and on my way home, I was stopped at a red light and happened to notice a man looking through the garbage of a business. I assumed he was likely getting cans to recycle and get money from, but instead he pulled out some kind of food and put it straight to his mouth to eat it. Other times I may have been grossed out and just quickly looked away but after having read a book not long ago called "the glass castle" I saw him differently. I was thinking that he is somebody's son, a brother maybe... And due to one circumstance or another, his life has come to getting his food from others' garbage. It made me not only count my ABUNDANT blessings, but also instilled in me a desire to do what I can to help those I can. As the holiday season approaches, it reminds me of the true meaning of the season and how our Savior Jesus Christ was the perfect example of giving and serving everybody regardless of their station in life. A lot to take in but I wanted to share and record that experience because it really impacted me.
On a lighter note, we went home and I got to canning the tomatoes! I ended up doing the whole process on my own as Dave was at work and it was such a great feeling to accomplish such a task and know I could do it on my own if I had to. I ended up with 14 quart jars and 9 pint jars which was awesome. I no longer have a fear of canning and look forward to continuing to do it as opportunities come.